26 facilities have been accepted as Ecoclub Ecolodges™. Will yours become the 27th?Ecoclub Ecolodge™ is a zero-carbon and transparent ecolabel for genuine ecolodges! It is offered to eligible accommodation facilities following the successful completion of the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit process. So far
1. Recognition as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™
2. Personalised Logo with the name of your Ecolodge, Country and the current year.
3. Listing in the Ecoclub Ecotourism Directory, in the 'Ecolodges' section.
Available at no extra charge for Ecolodges owned by Ecoclub Professional Members (1 Ecolodge per Member). Recognition is valid for 3 years and can be renewed free of charge.
The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel is based on the Ecoclub Ecotourism Criteria, the GSTC Industry Criteria, and the European Union Ecolabel Criteria for Tourist Accommodation. Our system keeps evolving but from day 1 our aim was to (a) avoid conflicts of interest, (b) minimise our rating system's environmental footprint, (c) be transparent (d) be affordable and (e) be user-friendly.
The process is as follows (last update 29 March 2021):
STEP 1: Application & Eligibility Check
The Accommodation Owner (or the Director of the company owning the accommodation) completes the Application Form. The Ecoclub Editor decides if the Accommodation facility is eligible (eligibility terms can be found in the next section). If the Accommodation facility is eligible we ask the Applicant to pay the Application Fee (Euros 30).
STEP 2: Audit Questionnaire Completion
The Applicant is asked to complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Questionnaire which contains detailed questions divided into four sections corresponding to the four Ecoclub Ecotourism Criteria. (The Questionnaire must be completed and signed by the Accommodation Owner or the Director of the company owning the accommodation). Answers must be supported by as much pictorial and video evidence as possible.
STEP 3: Audit Report Preparation
The Ecoclub Editor checks the returned Questionnaire for completeness and then prepares the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel Audit Report for the Accommodation facility. The Editor reserves the right to edit text and images for grammar, typos, clarity and space but never enhances or improves replies. It is the responsibility of the Applicant to collect all necessary information and evidence and to present it in an orderly fashion.
STEP 4: Remote Audit
The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel Auditor, assesses the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report. Each criterion section in the Questionnaire is of equal weight. The maximum score that the Auditor can award in each section is 4, and the minimum 0; when a criterion is fully met, 4 points are awarded, 2 points if it is partly met, and no points if it is not at all met. The maximum total is 16 points. If the Applicant achieves at least 8 out of 16 the facility is accepted and recognised as an Ecoclub Ecolodge™. The recognition is valid for 3 Years and can be renewed free of charge through a new Audit.
1. To be eligible for an Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel Audit, accommodation facilities should:
(a) be owned by an Ecoclub Professional Member
(b) be officially licensed to operate as a Tourism Accommodation facility.
(c) provide evidence online (including their website, social media and review sites) that indicates that they meet the Ecoclub Criteria:
- Minimise your Environmental Impact.
- Respect Human Rights, Labour Rights and Animal Rights.
- Meet Real Local Needs and help Eliminate Poverty & Injustice.
- Increase Knowledge & Intercultural Understanding.
(d) be fully open at least four months every year (continuously, not just on weekends) in the same location.
(e) serve and be legally allowed to serve breakfast to guests.
(f) have completed at least one Year in operation as an accommodation facility under the current ownership.
(g) not operate, feature or promote captive wild animal displays/enclosures or nature-consumptive leisure activities including "game hunting" or "sport fishing".
(h) not be up for sale - if a facility is put up for sale during the Audit process, the process will be cancelled.
(i) have at least 4 and no more than 30 rooms.
(j) officially employ at least one person full time, or two people part-time, not counting the owner(s).
NB. If you do not meet criteria c,d,e,g,h,i you may apply for our Ecoclub Recommended™ programme.
2. The decisions of the Administrator in relation to eligibility and of the Auditor in relation to the Audit result are final.
3. The Audit Reports of successful Applicants are permanently displayed. When there is a new Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Audit Report for a property, the old Audit Report will also be displayed for comparison purposes.
4. The Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Ecolabel is currently granted for 3 Years. Applicants may request a renewal (through a new Audit) three months before expiry, or later.
5. We reserve the right to decline an Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application for any reason, including if we feel the Applicant is not compatible with the Ecoclub Philosophy, and/or to cancel and recall an Ecolabel and Certificate if credible evidence which contradicts claims in the Application process emerges. We also reserve the right to suspend the process if there was a significant change in the business details or surrounding area circumstances (e.g. war, civil unrest or violence), or if the business ceases to operate or is sold to new owners. (The new owners are welcome to apply one full fiscal year after operating the property).
Please complete the Ecoclub Ecolodge™ Application Form.
Do you have any questions before applying? Would you like to recommend someone we should invite? Contact us!